Sunday, March 8, 2009

Who ever said understanding history would be easy?

Though I understand why many of my classmates were not thrilled about reading Zayni Barakat, I personally found it a great read especially considering this fictional novel focused on the Ottoman Empire within the 16 and 17 centuries, which if not studied right can seem quite dull. I know that many of these reasons had to do with Zayni Barakat as a "fictional" novel; this concerned many readers because they were not familiar enough with the history to identify what was or was not true. I am also one of those students, who are not yet able to unravel true from untrue simply because I have thus far not been educated enough with this history. Even so, after noticing that even Dr. Metcalf who has been studying this information for quite some time, had trouble telling one Sultan's picture form another, I felt assured that not only studying, but time would assist me in understanding the Ottoman Empire and less scared of making mistakes. For me, Zayni Barakat was just one more study session that would lead me closer to understanding the people and the time period more fully, so I had fun with the novel.
I was first lured into the reading and realized that I wanted to finish the novel quickly just for the sake of knowing "what's gonna happen," during the chapter that discussed a young girl who was sold as a slave to a much older man that forced her in to sexual relations. That's just my personality though. When discussing slavery or feminism you'll find me irritated and "heated;" two topics that I do not address as miniscule whatsoever.
I also loved that the novel was on such a personal level with its characters. The author advanced the perspectives within the novel by allowing various characters narrate or stand alone as the sole focus of a chapter. Readers are then able to gain a true sense of who each character is, get inside their minds in way. Not only that, but readers are also able to view characters through others eyes, see the pros and cons of someone through various perceptions. Author al-Ghitani makes it moderately simple for readers to pick and choose what they believe while maintaining a decent fight in persuading his readers to believe certain aspects of the Ottoman Empire.
The way I see it, what is untrue within fictional novels will be quickly contradicted by other sources, if a false statement is not easily contradicted it is either a controversial issue or is of relative unimportance.
..and if that's the case, then stop worrying yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment